Whether it’s indoors or outdoors, on location or in a studio, the best place to shoot your imagery is totally up to you. We do have a few things you need to think about before snapping, though.
Please don’t use:
- Stark lighting: we want your shots to look as natural as possible – try to shoot in natural light or, if you have to lift the shots, keep any artificial lighting as natural-looking as possible and try not to have product or models floating in stark white space
- Too much editing: don’t over retouch or add harsh filters, borders or watermarks to your shots. We also don’t allow collages – images should contain only one shot
- Flat shots*, pack shots or mannequin shots: clothing must always be shot on a model**. Please don’t upload shots featuring more than one model either, unless it’s a unisex items and both models are wearing the same thing (remember to list men’s and women’s items for categories to gain visibility)
- Images which don’t make it clear what is being sold: for example, when shooting jeweler please don’t stack/layer items – it must be explicitly clear which item is up for grabs in your listing
- Someone else’s imagery: you must own the shots you upload to your boutique – we don’t allow stock imagery/imagery from suppliers on The Royal Orange, even if you have purchased the rights to use the images
- Black and white images
- Catwalk shots
*During social distancing we are allowing for products across all categories, including clothing, to be shot as flat lay or product-only shots. Please note this doesn’t include mannequins which are still not allowed.
**Accessories can be shot without a model but please try to use a background that helps style the item. Think of something fun, engaging and unique to your brand.
The Royal Orange team check new listings daily – if any listings are found which don’t follow the above, we’ll need to remove them from the site while you make a few changes.
Image sizes and extra details:
- Product images: you can submit five portrait images per product listing. Try to use the shots to showcase all the details of the product you’re selling. Images have to be a minimum of 870x1262px
- Boutique storefront: your storefront image should represent your boutique and brand – a strong, seasonally relevant image will make the most impact. The size for your storefront is 800x600px. Remember, if you are paying for promoted slots on the homepages your boutique storefront image will be used on its own so make it appealing for this
- Boutique logo: your brand logo should be 310x169px